With the 2010 graduation season almost upon us, we put together a comprehensive checklist for planning the best graduation party. Print out this list, cross off the things that are not applicable, and you’re ready to get your party planned and carried through to perfection. CONGRATS grads!!!!
6 Weeks Before the Party
- Set a party budget
- Choose a date/time for the event
- Choose a location (the most popular options are: banquet hall, restaurant, park, and your home)
- Choose a theme or colors
- Create your guest list
- Order Graduate Party Invitations
- Remember to buy thank you cards
- Select a caterer or choose your menu and ask a friend to help
- Select a bakery to pre-order graduation cake
- Rent tables, chairs and serving-ware
- Buy decorations and centerpieces, including balloons, streamers, banners etc.
- Buy party favors, pens etc.
- Buy paper plates, plastic cups, plastic silverware etc.
- Collect memorabilia to create a memory board or scrapbook
- Buy a sign in book for guests to write memories
- Call for prices on live entertainment, DJ rates, prices to rent a karaoke machine or burn mixed CD’s
- Make sure you have a high quality digital camera and video camera ready, with backup batteries
- Buy gifts for your graduate and friends
- Mail graduation invitations 3-4 weeks before the party
The Week of the Party
- Pick up food, snacks and beverages
- Send extra invitations with your graduate to school
- Wrap gifts for graduate and friends
- Confirm delivery of rental equipment (have everything delivered early morning the day of the event or the afternoon before the event so you can set up early).
- Confirm cake at bakery
- Confirm food at caterer
- Double check to make sure you have enough batteries, charged cameras
- Set up gift table, food tables, decorations, sign in book, scrapbook etc.
- Think about some fun games to play
- Have extra coolers available for ice and drinks
- Talk to your graduate about expectations and any guidelines during the party
The Day of the Party
- Get plenty of rest
- Wake your graduate with breakfast in bed!
- Pick up the cake
- Pick up any last-minute fresh food and lots of ICE!!!
- Pick up catered food or verify delivery time
- Set up plenty of trash cans and recycling boxes
- Clean the outside areas and inside areas
- Put out balloons, outside decorations and directional signs
- Set out non-perishable food early
- Set out perishable food last minute
- Assign someone to take photos, videos and give them instructions to get group photos, this may be one for the last times everyone can get together.
- Give your graduate a card and/or gift and a big hug! Let them know how proud you are of them!
Drop us a line and let us know how it goes! Or if you have any great pearls of graduation advice… We look forward to hearing from you 🙂