Does the idea of pinning the baby on the belly and pink binky toss make you cringe? What about diaper derby or sharing the mommy-to-be’s most embarrassing moments? Are you trying to find a creative way to still allow your friends and family to honor and celebrate your soon-to-be bouncing bundle of joy without the traditional all-girls shower? Read below for some clever non-traditional shower ideas that are sure to be a blast!
Co-Ed Baby Showers
- Make sure there are plenty of men invited in addition to the expectant father.
- Choose couples baby shower invitations.
- If you’re going to have games, make sure they’re things the guys won’t shun. If you’re uncertain, ask your husband, father or brother’s opinion.
- When it’s time to open gifts make sure both the mom and dad-to-be take turns.
- If you’re giving out party favors, choose carefully. Most men could do without the baby binky bottles with colorful candies in them.
- Food, Food and Food!
BBQ Baby Showers
- Again, Make sure there are plenty of men invited in addition to the expectant father.
- If there will be kids at the shower set up a slip-and-slide or small outdoor pool and let the kids play.
- Choose a fun outdoor themed baby shower invitation.
- The focus of a Baby-Q shower is to celebrate, visit with friends and family and have a good time; you may not have as much of the girl talk and gossip sometimes found at a traditional baby shower.
- Again, Food, Food and Food!
Pool Party Baby Showers
- If this will be a co-ed shower make sure there are plenty of men invited in addition to the expectant father.
- If there will be kids at the shower make sure there are pool toys and floaties.
- Choose a fun outdoor themed baby shower invitation and be sure to advise your guests to bring their swimwear and towels.
- Set out fun finger foods such as veggie trays, fruit trays and chips and dip.
- You can also incorporate a BBQ with the Pool theme. Other main food options that can feed several people are pizza, lasagna, pasta or baked chicken.
- The focus is catching up with family, friends and most of all having fun.
Social Outing Baby Shower
Another fun idea for a non-traditional baby shower is planning a group outing with your family and friends, some ideas are:
- Put-Put golf
- An outing to a local park
- Video arcade
- Laser tag
- A beach trip
- A fun themed restaurant
Most of these locations have rental rooms or a pavilion you can still have the traditional cake and gifts at.
Remember, your baby shower doesn’t have to look any specific way – you create your day!
The most important part of a baby shower is spending quality time with family and friends and allowing them the opportunity to share and assist you in your new start. To help with the planning burden, enroll some loved ones in helping you create this fun non-traditional event.
Have you had a non-traditional shower? Planning one? Do you have any other fun ideas? Please share!!